Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Listen

Proverbs 19:20 - Listen to counsel and accept discipline, that you may be wise the rest of your days.

Sometimes we need to just shut up and listen.  Which can be a real challenge for some (present company definitely included).  We need to be willing to listen to advice from others, and accept the discipline for the mistakes we make.  Unless you own the place, you have a boss, and you're not above being disciplined.  The first place we need to seek for counsel and advice, is the Might Counselor Himself, Jesus Christ.  He will always give us the best advice.  If He doesn't answer you right away, there's a reason for it.  Maybe He wants you to confer with a colleague.  Not because He wants you to lean on human understanding, but maybe as an avenue to open the door and share the Gospel with them.  You never know where the door will lead until you open it.

In a leadership role at work, I have to remember that I don't always have the right answers.  I better serve the ones I lead when I am willing to humble myself and ask for advice.  My boss is fond of saying that you can't have any good ideas unless you have a lot of bad ones first.  He and I may not always agree on things, but he has a good point.  And when I make mistakes, I have to have the integrity to stand up and accept the consequences for them.  If I'm not willing to do these things, I have no right to be in a leadership position.

Dear Lord, thank You for Your wise counsel in all things.  I know that I am not capable of figuring things out on my own.  I tried that way for a long time before...that's why I'm here with You now.  Please continue to give me the guidance and strength and humility to lead today, as I seek to serve those I lead in a way that glorifies You.  In Jesus' name, Amen!



God Bless!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment