Sunday, December 1, 2013

The Company You Keep

Psalm 101:6 - I will search for faithful people to be my companions.  Only those who are above reproach will be allowed to serve me.

How many times did our parents tell us to be careful about the company we keep?  I think I lost count after a few hundred.

When I first got sober, I moved almost 1,500 miles away because I knew I wouldn't be able to get clean being around the same environments I was in.  I knew the temptation would be too great.  After a few months, I figured I was strong enough to resist, so I came back.  I was wrong.  It didn't take long for me to break my sobriety, because I started hanging around with the same people again.  What's that they say about the definition of insanity...?  A few months later, I broke off contact with them, and was able to sober up again.  Now, I'm coming up on 15 years of being clean next month.

My problem (among several) was that I wasn't being careful about the company I was keeping.  I underestimated the devil's power over me through these bad influences.  Once I made that second break, God worked in my heart in ways I could not have anticipated to keep me on the right path.  Once I stopped making the wrong choices of people to be my companions in life, I started to receive God's blessings.

God doesn't want us to do life alone.  We aren't built that way.  He wants us to choose the right people to accompany us on this journey of life, and He promises to bless us when we choose wisely.

Dear Lord, thank You for keeping me strong all these years.  I pray that I will make the right choices that are pleasing to You so that I may enjoy Your abundant blessings in my life.  In Jesus' name, Amen!



God Bless!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment