Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Just Love

Proverbs 25: 21-22 - If your enemies are hungry, give them food to eat.  If they are thirsty, give them water to drink.  You will heap burning coals of shame on their heads, and the Lord will reward you.

The reason we are being told to treat our enemies well isn't to shame them in the strict sense of the word.  That isn't our job necessarily.  The idea being put forth by Solomon here was to love our enemies (sound familiar?).  Treat them better than they would treat you.  The love of Christ that we show them will soften their hearts so they can see the shame of their sin and turn to God for healing and redemption.

Jesus spoke of this as well.  In Luke 6:35, He commanded us to love our enemies and to do good to them.  He wanted us to show them the love of God, for which we will be rewarded in Heaven.  That is the reward that Solomon spoke of as well.  God won't reward us for trying to do His job and punishing those who sin.  He rewards us for being the watchmen that He commanded us to be (Ezekiel 33:9).

Am I being a watchman or trying to be a judge?  Am I trying to love people to Christ or shame them?  I have to be mindful that I don't fall into the dangerous trap of being judgmental.  It isn't my place to judge, it's my place to just love.

Dear Abba Father, thank You for reminding me of this today.  I am so grateful for the lessons You give me every day, and I thank You for allowing me to share them so that hopefully someone will find something helpful in my thoughts and words.  Thank You for loving me like no one can, and I pray that I can show that love to others every day.  In Jesus' name, Amen!



God Bless!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment