Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Pride

Job 33:17 - He makes them turn from doing wrong; He keeps them from pride.

Pride is an ugly thing and keeps us from seeking God in humility.  Because of the sacrifice Jesus made on our behalf, we should approach God in humility to ask for His forgiveness.  We cannot walk around thinking that it is okay to sin because we are forgiven.  It does not work that way.  That is not humility, that is arrogance.  Jesus promised that God will bless the humble (Matthew 5:5).

C.S. Lewis said it best in his book Mere Christianity.  He said, "As long as you are proud you cannot know God.  A proud man is always looking down on things and people:  and, of course, as long as you are looking down, you cannot see something that is above you."  Such true words.  If we are too busy focusing on being better than what is below us, then we cannot focus on the most important thing that is above us - God.

Am I keeping my focus on Him?  I know that when I do a good job on something at work, I tend to feel gratification for a job well done.  That is not the problem.  It becomes a problem when I start to feel superior to others because of the job well done, and when I do not give God the glory for what was accomplished.  I accomplish nothing but by His strength, wisdom, and will.  I must keep myself mindful where my true success comes from - God.

Dear Lord, thank You for showing me this to keep me from getting arrogant and proud.  I pray for Your continued guidance every day so that I may give You the glory, and stay humbly Your servant.  And I thank You for Your patience in me.  In Jesus' name, Amen!



God Bless!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment