Thursday, December 26, 2013

Knock, Knock...Now What?

Revelation 3:20 - Look!  I stand at the door and knock.  If you hear My voice and open the door, I will come in, and we will share a meal together as friends.

So you've accepted Jesus' free gift of salvation.  You've prayed the prayer and repented when you finally heard Jesus knocking on the door of your heart, so now what?  For me, I figured I was good.  I didn't know or understand anything about following up or taking the next step.  Once I found out that faith without good deeds was useless (James 2:20), I was like, "Whoa!  I gotta work at this too?!"

The book of James was very convicting to me; especially considering the source.  This was Jesus' brother who didn't believe that Jesus was who He said He was for awhile.  It wasn't until Jesus' resurrection that James believed in Him.  James tells us that we are to help one another.  The faith we have is supposed to move us to do good works and selfless acts of love for others.

When I started to realize this and take it to heart, I thought, "Man, this stuff is hard work.  I don't know if I'm cut out for this."  Then I thought about Jesus.  Was it easy work for Him to carry the cross up to Golgotha?  Was it easy for Him to allow Himself to be crucified?  To take the punishment and afflictions that we all had and put them on Himself?  I seriously doubt it.  But He did it.  Because it was God's will.  Before He was arrested, He prayed for God to take the cup of suffering that He was about to bear, away from Him.  But He also surrendered Himself to God's will.

That's what I, and all of us, have to do.  It is God's will for us to love each other, and serve each other selflessly.  Yes, it can be hard work sometimes, but Jesus already did the heavy lifting for us when He carried that cross up the hill.

Dear Father, thank You for reminding me that my work for Your Kingdom was not completed when I simply accepted You into my heart and life.  I pray I will have the servant's heart for Your people, and that by doing for them, they will see the love of Jesus in me.  In Jesus' name, Amen!



God Bless!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment