Thursday, September 19, 2013

Sharp Tongues

James 3:10 - And so blessing and cursing come pouring out of the same mouth.  Surely, my brothers and sisters, this is not right.

This passage is so convicting.  The tongue will reveal what is in our heart.  If we have a sharp tongue that is used for cutting and cursing remarks, we need to stop and think about what we are doing (or not doing).  Of course what we are doing is wrong, but even more so, it shows we are resistant to the transformation that the Holy Spirit is trying to do within us.  If we open ourselves up to this transformation, our sharp tongues will subside.  It isn't just a matter of us trusting God to transform us, but allowing Him to do it.

Guilty, guilty, guilty.  I will be the first to admit that I have a problem with allowing my frustration to get the better of me.  I can be in a moment, and have nothing good to say.  My mom (as I'm sure a lot of our mom's said) used to say, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything."  But it goes beyond that.  I have to get rid of the bad thoughts altogether, not just suppress them.  I have to be better about taming my tongue.  The only way I can be better about this, is by being less resistant to the Holy Spirit's work in my heart.  I can sit here and say that I don't feel like I am being resistant.  But just because I don't notice it, doesn't mean it isn't so.  If I can be better about allowing God to transform my heart, I know that my sharp tongue will be tempered, because that is God's will for me.

Dear Lord, thank You for this conviction.  I know I need to tame my tongue, and it starts with me allowing You to tame my heart.  Please give me the strength and courage to be a better person in Your eyes.  I want to do Your will and be pleasing to You, and it starts with me allowing You to do Your work in me.  I trust Your perfect plan for me, and I pray for Your continued guidance each and every day.  In Jesus' name, Amen!



God Bless!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment