Friday, September 20, 2013

Obedience

1 Samuel 15:22 - But Samuel replied, "What is more pleasing to the Lord: your burnt offerings and sacrifices or your obedience to His voice?  Listen!  Obedience is better than sacrifice, and submission is better than offering the fat of rams."

Saul's problem here is that he figured that God wouldn't mind if he did things a little different than how he had been told.  He figured it would be okay if he offered the sacrifice that God didn't ask for, and God would still be fine with it.  His problem is that he figured...he didn't listen.

As someone who works in a leadership capacity at my job, I give instructions on a regular basis.  There have been plenty of times through the years where I would tell someone something that I needed them to do and a specific way that it needs to be done only to come back and find out they did it differently.  When this happens, I tell them I am all for finding new and efficient ways to do things, but certain things are required to be done in certain ways.  I will often tell them that I am open for discussion on new and improved methods, however we are not always going to agree and when we don't we are going to do it my way.  That is how I need to be when approaching God's instructions for me.  I have caught myself hearing His instruction to me, and then saying, 'Well I know He said to do it this way, but I know a better way that will get it done faster'.  That doesn't work!  If I knew better than God (and I certainly don't!!), then why do I need Him?!  I DON'T know better than Him.  When left to my own counsel, I have proven time and again that I DO need Him.  I must be mindful to make sure I am following His instructions as He tells me.  I may not always agree or understand, and when I don't, I will just do it His way.

Dear Lord, thank You for Your reminders that You definitely know better than me.  Your ways are always right and true, and I have to be careful that I don't start to think I know better than You, because I don't.  Thank You for Your guidance and patience as I seek Your glory every day.  In Jesus' name, Amen!



God Bless!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment