Monday, November 25, 2013

Watch What You Say

Ephesians 4:29 - Don't use foul or abusive language.  Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them.

The words that come out of our mouth say what's in our heart.  We are commanded to build each other up, not tear each other down.  We have to watch what we are saying, because we don't know how bad it could really hurt someone.  There is nothing wrong with speaking the truth and telling someone what's on our mind, but we should be doing it in love not sarcasm.

Guilty, guilty, guilty...I have a mouth like a sailor sometimes, and a fairly sarcastic wit.  I remember my mom used to always tell me (more times than I care to remember) that if I didn't have anything nice to say then I shouldn't say anything.  So, even before I came to know Jesus Christ, I was always being told to watch what I say.  I came across references to how our words affect others in a couple of different devotionals this morning.  God's obviously trying to say something to me.  I have to be mindful what I am saying.  Certain jokes and being a smart mouth just isn't right.  I, or others, might find it funny at the time, but those aren't the words I should be saying to other people.  Those words could be hurting someone, and I'm supposed to be helping them.  Whether or not they tell me it hurt them, doesn't mean it didn't.  I need to be mindful of what I'm saying and how I'm saying it.  The last thing I should ever want to do is tear somebody down when they need to be built up by the love of Christ.

Dear Lord, thank You for this.  Thank You for Your gentle reminders to be doing things in love, and to be careful that I'm not breaking someone down.  Please give me the strength to be mindful of my words by working on my heart so that it is focused on Your love.  In Jesus' name, Amen!



God Bless!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment