Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Mind Yourself

Galatians 6:4-5 - Pay careful attention to your own work, for then you will get the satisfaction of a job well done, and you won't need to compare yourself to anyone else.  For we are each responsible for our own conduct.

Paul reminds us that we are our own keeper.  The less we are focusing on things and people that are out of our control, the more we are able to focus on our own conduct and our own relationship with Christ.  We can't make people behave, and it is not our job to blame everyone else for our shortfalls and mistakes.

This is a tough lesson for a lot of people to learn.  It is very easy for us to play the blame game.  Well so-and-so did this, that's why I did that.  That's not how it works.  Jesus told us to get the log out of our own eye before we worry about the speck in someone else's (Matthew 7).  If you truly believe that someone is causing you to sin, then stop being around that person.

Ever work with someone that does that?  Man, that can be frustrating.  Especially when you're their supervisor.  I've worked with someone for the last three years that has yet to accept responsibility for any mistakes he has made.  He blames people that don't even work here anymore for things he has done wrong.  The bottom line is we cannot make other people change their ways, or be better about how they do things.  All we can do is show them the right way with love and grace, but they have to walk the path.

Before we take on responsibility that isn't ours, we have to make sure ourselves are in order.  I struggled with this for a while when I first kicked my drug addiction years ago.  Understanding and accepting that I was the only person responsible for my addiction is what made me finally able to kick it.  Just because someone offered me the drugs one time, does not make them the person responsible for the habit.  I was the one that kept going back for more.

Dear Lord, thank You for reminding me to work on the log in my eye before I focus on the speck in someone else's.  I must stay mindful that it is not my place to walk the path for them.  I have to mind myself and my path, and just show them the love and grace that You have commanded me to.  I pray for those that are struggling with accepting responsibility and holding themselves accountable for their decisions and actions.  I pray that they will see their log and work on that through a relationship with You.  In Jesus' name, Amen!



God Bless!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment