Thursday, January 2, 2014

Doing It Right

Genesis 4:7 - You will be accepted if you do what is right.  But if you refuse to do what is right, then watch out!  Sin is crouching at the door, eager to control you.  But you must subdue it and be its master.

God was attempting to teach Cain about putting God first in his heart and life.  He was telling him to do it right so that God would bless him, but Cain didn't get it.  Cain was only giving God some of his crops whereas Abel had given Him his best and first of the flock.

How often do we find ourselves trying to justify in our own minds about how we treat our relationship with God?  We say to ourselves, "Hey I went to church this weekend.  I threw some money in the offering bucket.  I'm good."  God doesn't want us this way.  He wants us to WANT to go to church.  He wants us to WANT to give our tithes and offerings.  He wants us to have joy in our worship.

Long before the commandments were given to Moses and the people of Israel, God used teachable moments like this one to show people the error of their ways.  God still uses them.  They are found in His Word.  Every morning when I sit down to study His Word, I pray and ask God to show me something that I need to hear.  God uses these teachable moments to work on our hearts, so that we are doing it right.  So that we are giving Him the first and best of ourselves.  It's easy for us to say, "Man I just don't really feel like spending time with Him today.  He'll understand."  Do you think God would EVER say that about us?  Never.

Dear Lord, thank You for this new life You have given me.  Thank You for taking the time to be available to spend with me.  I pray that I will continue to give You the first and best of my heart and life each and every day, so that I may feel Your blessings.  Thank You for the people I have come to know that are doing it right and seeking You in the same way.  I pray that I will continue to learn from their examples.  In Jesus' name, Amen!



God Bless!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment