Thursday, March 27, 2014

Let Him In

Joshua 1:8 - Study this book of instruction continually.  Meditate on it day and night so you will be sure to obey everything written in it.  Only then will you prosper and succeed in all you do.

God's instructions to Joshua are great instructions to us as well.  We should be reading the Bible every day.  It's the best way to start to understand God's character and how much love He has for us.

I recently wrote a brief essay for a Philosophy class about the practice of being in God's word every day.  One of the prompts I had to address was how do the inner goods that I get from this practice relate to the outer goods.

Talk about a conviction.  Am I just going through the motions of reading God's word every day so that I can say I am being a good Christian, or am I letting Him into my heart?  Paul reminded us of this in Colossians 3:16 when he said, "Let the message about Christ, in all its richness, fill your lives."  At church recently, one of the Pastors was talking about this and said, "You're in the word of God every day, but is the word of God in you?"  That was the crux of my essay too.

We need to remember to let God in, so that everything we are reading and studying in His word about His love for us, should be reflected in our daily lives in how we show His love to others.  It isn't good enough to be a 'good Christian'.  I have to remember that the idea is to be a 'good and faithful servant'.  And not just to Him, but to His people as well.

Dear Lord, thank You for this conviction that I need to be taking in the wise instruction You give me every day in Your Word.  I pray that I will let You in and let You reflect Your love through me to those around me.  I pray that I will not just gloss over the words as I read them, but that I let them deep into my heart.  I pray for those that are not completely committed to You.  My prayer is that they will make the time to spend some time with You every day, in Your word and in prayer, so that they can know You more deeply, and reflect Your love to others.  In Jesus' name, Amen!



God Bless!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment