Saturday, April 19, 2014

Good Mourning

Zechariah 12:10 - "Then I will pour out a spirit of grace and prayer on the family of David and on the people of Jerusalem.  They will look on Me whom they have pierced and mourn for Him as for an only son.  They will grieve bitterly for Him as for a firstborn son who has died."

Although Easter is a time of celebration as we remember the day that our Lord and Savior rose from the grave and defeated sin and death, it is also a time to mourn as well.

A little mourning can be good for the soul.  It is certainly cathartic at times.  But most important it is Biblical.  Jesus told us in the Beatitudes that God blesses those who mourn and promises that they will be comforted (Matthew 5:4).  Not only did God through Zechariah say that we will mourn for the death of Jesus, He also said that He will bless those of us that do.

It was our sin and separation from God that required the sacrifice of Jesus Christ to begin with, so I believe it is only right that we should mourn for His loss.  At the same time, He shed His blood for us willingly out of His deep love for us.  He could have easily avoided it as He said in the garden of Gethsemane when they came to arrest Him, but He didn't (Matthew 26:53).

As Jesus promised, we will be comforted.  We take comfort in knowing that although it was our guilt and shame that put Him on that cross, when we accept His free gift of salvation that He paid for, we will be blessed by eternal life in His Glorious Kingdom.  Now that is DEFINITELY a blessing that I can take comfort in, as should we all.

Dear Father, thank You!  While I beg Your forgiveness for my sin that put Your Son on the cross to die for me, I am beyond thankful that You gave Him willingly so that You and I can have the intimate relationship that You have always wanted.  I thank You for the comfort that You give as I mourn the death of my Savior, and thank You for the blessings of eternal life with You in Heaven.  I pray for those that have not accepted Your gift of salvation.  I pray that during this weekend, Your Holy Spirit will stir in their hearts and they will finally see Jesus Christ for Who He truly is: the Great Redeemer that You sent Him to be.  Thank You for all You have done for us, Your children.  In Jesus' powerful name, Amen!



God Bless!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment