Saturday, April 26, 2014

At Last, Some Regularity

James 1:17 - Whatever is good and perfect is a gift coming down to us from God our Father, who created all the lights in the Heavens.  He never changes or casts a shifting shadow.

With all the change and constant moving we deal with in our lives, it is comforting to have some regularity.  To have some normalcy.  The great part about the regularity and normalcy we receive from God, is that it is all a good and perfect gift He gives us out of love.

I don't know about you, but I don't deal with change too well (although I think my sister is worse about it).  I get comfortable doing things a certain way, and when they change it can be frustrating to say the least.

The rules and acceptable practices that society and the culture try to make everyone follow change frequently.  Yesterday it was okay to do this, tomorrow it won't be.  That's the beauty of God.  He doesn't keep doing that to us.  The problem with society's rules and practices is that they are put into place and changed from time to time, to get us to conform to how they think we should all live.  That's not regularity, that's chaos.  God's rules and practices for our lives that He laid out in the Bible for us so many years ago, haven't changed.  They were put in there, so that when we accept His free gift of salvation, and then live according to His decrees, we would be made acceptable to Him.  He is the ultimate arbiter for our eternal soul, not society.

Now this might sound like anarchy, but it isn't.  Anarchy is the absence of government control or a lack of obedience to authority (look it up).  Following God's will and plan for us, is hardly disobedience to authority.  It is the exact opposite.  It is obedience to the Highest Authority the world has ever, or will ever, know.

Some might argue that God needs to update His rules for a more contemporary society.  That's just ridiculous.  Why should the Creator of everything have to change to conform to the self-serving ideals that His Creation has developed?  That's letting the inmates run the asylum...that is anarchy.  God tells us in Malachi that He does not change (Malachi 3:6).  The writer of Hebrews tells us that Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever, and also warns us not to to be attracted by strange, new ideas (Hebrews 13:8).

I can't speak for you, but I like having this kind of regularity and normalcy.  God's perfect plan for me and for all of us is a breath of fresh air in a turbulent culture that regularly tries to impress strange, new ideas that don't make a lot of sense other than serving their own personal cause.  The only cause I am concerned with, is the good and perfect cause of God and His Son Jesus Christ.  That cause begins and ends with love...

Dear Father, thank You for being the same yesterday, today, and forever.  You really are a breath of fresh air in this chaotic world, and I am blessed by the relationship I have with You.  I pray that Your will and purpose for my life will always take center stage, and that from Your guidance I will not chase any strange, new ideas that attempt to contradict Your will for me.  I pray for those that don't know You and don't know that You really are the Authority that should always take front and center in their lives.  My prayer is that Your Holy Spirit will stir in their hearts and they will begin to pursue Your will for their lives, and trust in You for their eternal salvation.  In Jesus' name I pray, Amen!



God Bless!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment