Monday, April 14, 2014

A Right Heart

1 Samuel 15:22 - But Samuel replied, "What is more pleasing to the Lord: Your burnt offerings and sacrifices or your obedience to His voice?  Listen!  Obedience is better than sacrifice, and submission is better than offering the fat of rams."

Samuel was never afraid to tell it like it is.  Of course, being filled with God's Spirit will give you that kind of courage.  Samuel points out to Saul that it wasn't the sacrifices that God was interested in, but a heart that was after God.  A heart that was willing to not just obey God's will, but to actively seek it with real effort.  Not a heart that was trying to wing it and assume it was doing right.

When it comes to our hearts, nothing has changed as far as God is concerned.  That's what He wants more than anything, a right heart that is actively seeking and engaging Him.  Obviously, we don't make sacrifices to Him as described in the Old Testament (at least I hope not), but we do sacrifice our time, talent, and treasure to Him as He directs/guides us to (at least we should be).  But we should never do it grudgingly, we should be doing it because we want to obey Him.

Paul talked about this in 2 Corinthians 9:7 when he quoted Proverbs 22 and said that, "God loves a person who gives cheerfully."  This is true.  Someone who gives of themselves because they want to is happy about it.  They do it not because they feel that they have to, but because they get joy out of it.  For me personally, when I'm able to go out of my way and help someone, I definitely get joy out of it.  Compared to the way I used to be, the only way to explain that is God's Holy Spirit transforming me (Romans 12:2).  I used to hate doing people favors (I can't emphasize the word hate enough here).  No matter how small the favor might have been, I did it through gritted teeth.  God doesn't want a heart that is given to Him through gritted teeth, but one that is given to Him through a pearly white smile.

Dear Lord, thank You for reminding me to seek You with my heart and that You want my heart more than my time, talent, or treasure.  I know that if I continue to give You my heart, I will cheerfully give You everything else.  I pray that I will continue to find joy in giving to You and Your people, and that I never do it grudgingly.  I know that by the power of Your Holy Spirit moving inside of me, I will always find joy in Your service.  In Jesus' name, Amen!



God Bless!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment