Monday, April 21, 2014

A Good Example

1 Timothy 1:16 - But God had mercy on me so that Christ Jesus could use me as a prime example of His great patience with even the worst sinners.  Then others will realize that they, too, can believe in Him and receive eternal life.

Paul uses himself to demonstrate to Timothy that all of us can be saved and have eternal life through our faith in Jesus Christ. It doesn't matter what we have done, because God loves us and has so much patience for us.

Ever have a teacher or boss tell you that they're going to make an example of out of you?  I sure have...more times than I care to remember.  Ninety nine times out of a hundred, it's not a good thing.  But Jesus Christ is the exception to that rule.  He makes us the good example to show others how deep His love and forgiveness for us really are.

Paul very well could have been the worst of them all (1 Tim 1:15), and so could the guy next door to me (and so could I).  But that's not for any of us to decide.  It's up to us to recognize how much patience God has for us, and show others the love He showed us.  Often, we have decided that the person next to us is a bigger or worse sinner than we are.  Just because they sin differently, doesn't mean it is worse (sin is still sin is still sin).  When we attempt to act righteous, we are making ourselves look more foolish.

We need to remember that God still loves us, despite our attempts to look better than we are.  We need to show that love to others so that they can see and believe that they are not too far gone.  That they can still receive God's free gift of eternal salvation when they believe in Jesus Christ as their Savior.  Jesus commanded us to go and make disciples (Matthew 28:19).  The action in this command was not the "Go, therefore" part, it was the "Make disciples" part.  We begin making disciples when we demonstrate God's love and forgiveness to others.  Love like He loves...

Dear Abba Father, thank You for Your unending love and patience for all of us sinners.  I cannot thank You enough for the forgiveness that You showed when You sent Your Son to die for me on the cross.  I know that I am a sinner, and that I need Your forgiveness daily.  It doesn't matter how I have sinned, just that I have and that I need You because of it.  I pray for those that believe they are too far gone.  My prayer is that they will see that Your love and forgiveness is available to everyone who seeks it, and not those that think they are righteous (Mark 2:17).  I pray that You will use me as an example to them according to Your will and purpose.  In Jesus' name, Amen!



God Bless!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment