Saturday, May 31, 2014

Working Both Ways

Colossians 3:13 - Make allowance for each other's faults, and forgive anyone who offends you.  Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others.

None of us is perfect no matter how much we try to be or how much we like to think we are.  The beauty of it is that God doesn't expect us to be.  He forgave our transgressions and imperfections, and He makes allowance for our continued faults and shortcomings.  And so should we.  Forgiveness works both ways.

If anyone had a good understanding of forgiveness, it was Paul.  He referred to himself as the worst of them all when it came to sin (1 Timothy 1:15).  While we might have one or two people in mind who we think was or is the worst sinner ever, who are we to decide.  Paul was a bit hard on himself, but he understood that holding a grudge had no place in the Christian's heart.

I heard a Pastor on the radio recently that said that God forgives our sins, but He also forgives the sins committed against us.  I thought that was an interesting perspective.  How often do we think, "I know God has forgiven me, but He can't forgive that person for what they did to me."  Well of course He can and He will when they seek His forgiveness and repent.  No matter what the offense was, He can and will forgive it, with the exception of blasphemy of the Holy Spirit (Matthew 12:31).

A couple of years ago, someone hurt me.  They did something that is not easily forgivable, and had it happened 10 years ago, I wouldn't have forgiven them.  When I confronted them with what happened and they were truly sorry, they asked me why I was calm and not upset, I said that God had already forgiven them, so who am I not to.  I think that's the attitude we should be striving for.  This doesn't mean I am perfect, because I still get upset at people and situations.  I have to remind myself to pray for God to give me peace of mind and heart so that I can forgive and move on.  I remind myself of what Paul said in Philippians 2:5 about having the attitude that Christ had.  I believe that He would have forgiven the ones who had sentenced Him to die on the cross if they had asked Him to.

Failing to forgive is letting yourself be conquered by evil.  Revenge is not sweet.  Paul addressed this very well in Romans 12:19-21.  Forgiving others and leaving it in God's hands, showing love to those who hurt you heaps burning coals of shame on their heads.  It's not that we aim to shame someone when they sin against us.  Although throwing burning things on their heads might feel good in the moment, it isn't our goal.  We want to show them love and forgiveness so that our Heavenly Father will forgive us (Matthew 6:14).  The burning coals of shame is the conviction of the Holy Spirit in their hearts.

We have to remember to be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven us (Ephesians 4:32).  It works both ways.

Dear Abba Father, thank You for teaching me about forgiveness.  Thank You for forgiving my shortcomings and all my faults that are too numerous to list.  I ask for Your strength and peace to remember to forgive others when they sin against me and hurt me.  I know that I have struggled with this from time to time, but I also know that You will give me what I need according to Your will, and I know that it is Your will for me to love others, and forgive them as You have forgiven me.  I pray for those that are holding on to a lot of bitterness in their hearts.  My prayer is that You will continue to rain down Your love on them, and remind them that they need to forgive those that have hurt them.  Show them that forgiving others as You have done, will not only improve their attitude, but it will heal their heart.  I ask this in the name of Your Precious Son and my Savior, Jesus Christ.  Amen!



God Bless!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment