Saturday, May 24, 2014

Pick & Choose

2 Timothy 3:16 - All scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives.  It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right.

In Paul's second letter to Timothy, he tells us that ALL Scripture is from God and is true.  Not just certain parts that we prefer to believe.

Do you know anyone that doesn't believe it's all true?  They say things like, "I don't agree with that part, so it doesn't apply to me."  I have.  It blows my mind that people think it's okay to just pick and choose what is true and what applies to them at their convenience.  I refer to them as Convenient Christians.

I have found that when people don't understand what they're reading in Scripture, they tend to dismiss it.  I have also seen that people who don't believe that God could love them the way He does and the way He loves EVERYONE, they believe that He doesn't love some people because of their sin.  Nothing could be further from the truth.

The Senior Pastor at my church once said that in order to understand the content of the Bible, you have to understand the context.  I don't think he could have said it any better.  If we're not getting good Bible teaching from our church leaders, then we will have problems understanding the context, and therefore the content.

God loves EVERYONE.  He hates SIN.  Sin separates us from God, which is why He hates it.  God will ALWAYS love us, and it breaks His heart when we are in bondage to our sin which keeps us from Him.  I'm sure you've heard the term 'Hate the sin, not the sinner'.  That's what I'm talking about here.  God loves us all and always will.  He will not bless us if we are rebelling against Him by letting our sin control us, which prevents us from being intimately connected to Him, but He will still always love us.

The next time you hear someone say, "God doesn't love them because they're sinning," correct them.  It's their way of saying that God couldn't possibly love me because I'm a sinner that's done so much bad, or I'm still living in my sin."  They're providing you a window of opportunity to speak to their heart.  Share with them the truth of the Gospel message that Jesus didn't come to save those who think they are righteous, but those who know they are sinners (Mark 2:17).  All it takes is for that small window of opportunity into that person's heart to let the Holy Spirit in to do what He does best.

Dear Father, thank You for saving me.  I know that I am a sinner, and I know that You still love me regardless.  I thank You for Your Word.  I know that it all comes from You, and I trust that You will always lead me down the path I should go, and You will always teach me to do what is right.  I pray for those convenient christians that don't understand the truth.  Perhaps they haven't been taught properly, or even been taught at all.  My prayer is that when their friends see and hear what is in their heart, they will share Your truth with them, and they will receive Your Holy Spirit into their hearts to transform their lives for the glory of Your Kingdom.  In Jesus' name I pray, Amen!



God Bless!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment