Saturday, June 7, 2014

Truthful Guidance

Mark 12:24 - Jesus replied, "Your mistake is that you don't know the Scriptures, and you don't know the power of God."

When the Sadducees tried to trap Jesus with their questions, He saw through it and put it back on them.  He pointed out that they didn't really know what they were teaching and the power behind it.

How often do we see political leaders talk about their faith, but not have any meaning or conviction behind it?  We see a candidate maybe even quote a Scripture or two so that they can sound religious and win a few extra votes.  But it doesn't work that way.  The power of God's Word isn't supposed to be some tool to try and influence people like that.  It is a truthful guide for our lives.

The candidates we elect to office on a local, state, or national level should have their hearts governed by God.  When we fail to do that, we do a disservice to ourselves and our God.  We should seek His guidance in every way for our lives, and our expectations for the leadership we elect should be grounded in God's Word, not the words they say that sound good and right.  How can we expect them to lead like Christ if they don't comprehend or apply His Scripture.

King David said it well in Psalm 18:30 when he said, "God's way is perfect.  All the Lord's promises prove true.  He is a shield for all who look to Him for protection."  God's instructions to Joshua to study and meditate on His Word (Joshua 1:8) are instructions for all of us.  We should demand nothing less from the ones we elect into office.

Am I studying Scripture every day for the right reasons?  Am I seeking to know the words, or to know the One who is the Word, and to have His truthful guidance in my every day life?

Dear Father, I pray that my heart is in the right place and seeking Your truthful guidance for my life.  I know I will fall short and stray from Your path from time to time.  When that happens, I pray that I will confess, repent, and ask for Your forgiveness so that I may stay close to You, my Shield of protection.  I pray for those that don't know You.  They may be reading Your Word regularly, but not for the right reasons.  My prayer is that they will feel the emptiness inside that only a right relationship with You can fill.  I pray for the leadership of this country.  I pray that they will turn their hearts to You to let Your loving influence guide their decisions for us.  In Jesus' name, Amen!



God Bless!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment