Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Go In The Name Of Love

Matthew 7:22-23 - "On judgment day many will say to me, 'Lord!  Lord!  We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed miracles in your name.'  But I will reply, 'I never knew you.  Get away from me, you who break God's laws'."

The people Jesus was talking about here were doing all these things so that they would have something to brag about for themselves.  They were doing it for their glory.  If we aren't sharing or teaching God's Word in love and for His glory, then we are doing it wrong.  It is all about His glory.

How often have we attended a church where it seemed like the Pastor was putting himself forward, and not God's Word.  I doubt that the message that God gave him to share was supposed to be about how great of a Christian he is, and how he never falls short.  How often do we do the same thing when we are sharing the Gospel with someone?  When we do that, we short-change the message we are trying to share, and we short-change the person we are trying to share it with.  We are robbing them of the opportunity to hear about God's righteousness and salvation.

In Matthew 22:37-40, Jesus gave us the two most important commands to follow.  Love God and love others as yourself.  If we love God, why aren't we talking about Him and what He's done in our lives instead of what we've done?  If we love them as we love ourselves, why are we not sharing with them the proper message that would bring God the glory and lead them to salvation?

God doesn't need us to show up in Heaven and brag about what we've done.  He already knows what we've done.  He told us to go and make disciples (Matthew 28:19)...plural.  Not go and make one and never shut up about it.  Yes, Heaven rejoices over one sinner who repents and is saved than 99 who don't think they need to (Luke 15:7), but how are we ever going to have a chance with the other 99, if we don't stop bragging about the 1 we helped?

Am I more concerned with the good things I have done than with the good things that God can and will do through me because of the gifts He has given me?  I pray that I don't rest on my laurels over one good thing and miss out on 99 other opportunities.

Dear Father, thank You for reminding me that it is all about You.  It is about Your message of love and salvation, and not the one good thing I may do because of it.  I pray that I will never be too proud to share Your love with anyone, and that when I come before You on that day, I will hear 'Well done, good and faithful servant' instead of 'I never knew You'.  I pray for those that think that it is okay to focus on the 1 good thing, and not worry about those 99 missed opportunities.  My prayer is that they will feel the conviction in their heart, and remember that it's all about Your love, and their love for You and others.  In Jesus' name, Amen!



God Bless!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment