Monday, June 30, 2014

La La La La La...

Zechariah 7:11 - "Your ancestors refused to listen to this message.  They stubbornly turned away and put their fingers in their ears to keep from hearing."

God is telling the people that they need to get their hearts in the right place.  They haven't changed much during their exile.  They are mourning and fasting over the loss of the temple, not over their broken relationship with God.  God is trying to tell them that they got it all wrong, and that through His previous prophets, He has been trying to give them the same message.  But they don't want to hear it.  They are being like stubborn children and putting their fingers in their ears so they don't have to hear what they don't want to hear.

Remember when we were kids, and someone would start to tell us something that we didn't want to hear?  We would stick our fingers and say, "La la la la la...I'm not listening."  Didn't that just drive you crazy when someone would do that to you?  I would get so mad when someone did that to me, but then, I would turn around and do it to other people.

Often times that is what we are doing to God when He is trying to tell us something that we don't want to hear.  God will speak to us in that still, quiet voice and we put our fingers in our ears and say, "La la la la la...I'm not listening."  Why?  Because we think we know better?  Because we are convinced that what we are doing, or the path we are taking, is the right one?  It could be that we aren't necessarily doing anything wrong, just that God has something better planned for us (Jeremiah 33:3).  It could be that He wants us to step out of our comfort zone, and grow in our relationship with Him.

Like the Israelites that were in exile, God still extends His salvation to us.  Even when we act like stubborn and insubordinate children.  He extends His love and grace to everyone (Titus 2:11).  We don't deserve it - we never could.  But, in the words of Clint Eastwood, "Deserves got nothin to do with it" (Unforgiven).  Yeah, I just went there and quoted Clint Eastwood.  But it makes the point.

Am I still being stubborn and resistant to God's leading?  Am I listening to God's still, quiet voice or am I putting my fingers in my ears like the kid in the toy store?

Dear Father, thank You for reminding me how stubborn and childish I have been at times when I don't want to hear something different.  Thank You for pushing me out of my comfort zone, and showing me just how great it is to be different and to do things different than I'm used to.  Thank You for all the great examples in my life that You have shown me through other people.  I truly have been blessed, and to You goes all the glory and praise.  I pray for those that don't want to listen.  My prayer is that they will take that step of faith into Your great glory, and begin to trust Your plan for them, and that they will trust that You will never lead them astray, and You will never forsake or abandon them as You have always promised.  In Jesus' name, Amen!



God Bless!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment