Saturday, June 14, 2014

Perspective

1 John 5:21 - Dear children, keep away from anything that might take God's place in your hearts.

The Apostle John's plea for us to keep our hearts focus on God and to keep away from anything that might take us away from him, is a also a good reminder that anything can be an idol.  No matter how insignificant or trivial it may seem.

During my Quiet Time with God this morning, I came across this passage in one of the devotionals I read every day.  Pastor Chuck Swindoll put the issue of idol worship into great perspective for me.  He said, "I don't have many temptations to worship evil things.  It's the good things that plague me."  How true is that!  How often do I catch myself enjoying good things more than I should, or taking them more seriously than I should?

This message this morning really touched my heart the day after my favorite Hockey team won the Stanley Cup Championship.  Anyone who knows me well enough, knows that I love Baseball and Hockey very much.  I enjoy watching and attending games whenever I am able.  I was able to watch the game last night and celebrate with some other fans, but now that I look back on the events of the evening, was I putting the excitement and thrill of the sport in front of God in my heart?  I have to say that I think I was.  Usually during exciting games like last night when the tension gets high, I can't relax.  I can't sit down, and I have a tendency to pace the floor, and last night was certainly no exception.

There's nothing wrong with enjoying sports for what they are - ENTERTAINMENT.  Yes, they are a job and a way of life for those who play the game, but they are intended to be entertaining for the rest of us.  I remember years back when the Chicago Cubs would lose a game (and it happens very often), people knew not to talk to me.  I was in a bad mood for most of the next morning, and I did not want to talk to anyone.  Talk about letting something replace God as first in your heart.  I eventually learned to relax and not let it bother me (as much), because I finally learned just how insignificant a game really is.  That doesn't mean that I have it all figured out.  Far from it.  I still get bothered by the poor play of the Cubs (did I mention it happens often?) and overexcited by the great play of the Los Angeles Kings (did I mention they won the Championship?), but I have gotten better about keeping them in perspective.

One thing I promised myself that has really helped me, is that I would never involve God in sports.  What I mean is, during my prayers I would never ask God to intercede for one of my teams to win.  I realize that may sound silly, but I know people that do this, and I don't believe I should be praying for something like that.  I do pray that God will protect the players and keep them healthy and safe, but I never say to God, "Lord, I really want them to win, because they are playing their rival", or something like that (did I mention the Kings eliminated the Ducks from the playoffs this year?).

While I have enjoyed the great season the Kings had (did I mention it was their 2nd Championship in 3 years?), and am enjoying (as much as possible) watching the Cubs play to the best of their ability, I have to remember that it is just a game (did I mention the victory parade is on Monday?).  It is just intended to be a respite for a few hours (double overtime win last night!), and not consume all of my thoughts and energies.  That should be reserved for the Lord.

Dear Abba Father, thank You for giving me perspective I need at the right time.  I love Your timing, and am thankful for Your corrections as well as Your love and grace.  I pray that I will keep everything in the proper perspective in my life, which means You are at the forefront of everything I do, and I will seek Your will for everything, not my own.  I pray for those that have trouble with idol worship as I have, and still do sometimes.  My prayer is that we will see that they are replacing You in our hearts with things that are not as important as they may seem, and we will turn from that behavior, and seek You first.  In Jesus' name, Amen!



God Bless!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment