Friday, September 5, 2014

What Good Can Only One Do?

Luke 15:7 - In the same way, there is more joy in Heaven over one lost sinner who repents and returns to God than over ninety-nine others who are righteous and haven't strayed away!

This verse is a favorite of mine.  It speaks about the personal attention that each one of us gets from all of Heaven when we repent and turn our hearts over to God.  But I heard something recently that made me think of this verse in a different way.

I was listening to a Pastor on the radio, and he made mention of a missionary.  I believe this missionary was in China, although I don't know when exactly.  In his 30 years of missionary work in China, he helped convert exactly one person.  How hard must his life have been to know that in 30 years, he only reached one open and repentant heart with the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  The Pastor that was talking about him was honest and said he probably would have quit.  I can't blame him for that, because I probably would have too.  Wouldn't you want to quit?

It's hard to believe that only one person can make any difference.  Even though we hear that often, it doesn't make it any easier to believe.  The great part of this story about this missionary, is that the one person he helped convert, went on to reach (and convert) millions with the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  As much as I'm sure this missionary wanted to give up during those 30 years, I am positive that God kept telling him not to.  Fortunately for those millions that went on to be saved, He obeyed.

When I first really took my relationship with God seriously a few years ago, I didn't share my faith with hardly anyone.  If someone had asked me if I believed in God, I would have happily said yes, but I wasn't a sharer (is that a word?).  Talking to people about it wasn't my thing.  I believed that God would understand my shy or introverted tendencies.  After all, He made me this way.  I would often justify it to myself by asking, "What difference can I make?"  and "What good can only one person do?"

The answer is A LOT.  By the power of the Holy Spirit and the power of the Gospel, one person truly can make a difference.  The funny thing is, it's not even the people that make the difference, it's God working through them.  God tells us, "It is the same with my Word.  I send it out, and it always produces fruit.  It will accomplish all I want it to, and it will prosper wherever I send it" (Isaiah 55:11).  We are simply the vehicles transporting God's Word to others.  Through us, God can and will make a significant impact in people's lives.

Even if we reach only one person in our entire lives, think of the impact that one person can have on everyone else.  Who knows who that person might turn out to be.  The rejoicing in heaven over that one soul that was saved, is all that should matter to us for the work we did for the Kingdom of Heaven.

Dear Heavenly Father, thank You for reminding me that it isn't the quantity of who is reached as much as it is the quality.  I understand that quality will always produce quantity when Your Holy Spirit is involved.  I trust Your Word to accomplish all You set it out to accomplish, and will always bear fruit even when I may not necessarily see it.  I pray for those that believe that they can't make any significant impact for Your Kingdom.  My prayer is that they will remember that it is not them that is working, but You and Your Word working through them.  And that by the power of Your Word, everyone can be saved.  In the name of Jesus Christ I pray.  Amen!



God Bless!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment