Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Stop It!

Romans 7:15 - I don't really understand myself, for I want to do what is right, but I don't do it.  Instead, I do what I hate.

Wouldn't it be nice if it were just that easy for us to say stop it and we would stop sinning and be right with God?  Life would be much simpler, because everything would fit into that nice and neat little box we try to shove everything.

Since we are human, that just isn't possible.  Fortunately for us, there is a way to be made right with God.  That way is through Jesus Christ and His atoning sacrifice on the cross.  He told us that He is the Way, the Truth, and the Life, and that no one could get to the Father except through Him (John 14:6).  How blessed are we that despite our shortcomings and sinful nature, God still provided a path to Him!

I once watched a hilarious comedy skit where a woman was going to a therapist to try and overcome some issues she was having.  The therapist, played by Bob Newhart, said he had two words that would help her.  And then he yelled, "Stop It!"  No matter what her issue was, that was his advice.  Life certainly would be much simpler if that fixed everything.

We can't control our circumstances.  Nothing happens by accident, and there is no such thing as luck.  Everything happens according to God's plan and timing.  When we realize that, things do become much simpler for us.  We have to realize that we can't control our circumstances, but we do control our reactions to them.  I once heard it explained that happiness is dependent on our circumstances, but joy is dependent on our reaction to them.  That made sense to me.

The Apostle Paul told us, "Always be full of joy in the Lord.  I say it again - rejoice!" (Philippians 4:4).  He didn't say, "Don't worry, be happy."  No matter what circumstances come our way, remember that God is in charge, and He will never give us more than we can handle.  He has molded and pruned us to be able to handle whatever circumstances occur.  When we are obedient to Him, we will overcome by His power.  When we understand and accept this, that is when we find the joy that Paul told us about.  And happiness comes from finding our joy in the Lord.

We can't control our happiness, but we can control our joy.  When we choose to rejoice in everything the Lord has given us and done for us, life really does become much simpler.  That doesn't mean that it will be easier or we will not have any problems or stop sinning.  It just means that we can confront everything that comes our way, because we have faith in the One that controls everything.

A man much smarter than me once told me that since we are saved, that doesn't mean we are sinless, but that we sin less.  We will never be able to completely stop sinning on this side of Heaven.  A simple "Stop It!" won't work.  But we can trust that God will forgive us and redeem us to Himself when we confess our sins to Him and repent.  While it is easy to be bummed that we haven't overcome the sin in our life, don't be.  Remember that we don't have to, because the answer isn't in us but is in Jesus Christ (Romans 7:25).  We are free because He has made us free.  That should always make us stop and rejoice!

Dear Abba Father, thank You for the freedom from bondage to my sin that You have given me.  I am so grateful and joyful that I don't have to do this on my own.  Thank You for the grace and mercy You freely give us all.  I pray for those that haven't found joy because they are looking for happiness.  My prayer is that they will see that rejoicing in all You have done will make them happier than they ever thought possible.  I pray that we all find that joy.  In the name of Jesus Christ I pray, Amen!



God Bless!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment