Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Finally Included

Romans 1:6 - And you are included among those Gentiles who have been called to belong to Christ Jesus.

Called to belong to Christ.  Reading those words really makes me feel good.  It always feels good to be included with a group, doesn't it?

For someone like me, who has always despised being labelled, it actually feels good to finally have one.  I never liked having labels assigned to me, because I never felt like I fit in with any certain crowd.  And it wasn't like I was trying to be some sort of rebel to society either.  Believe me, I tried to fit in with various groups in my life.  A little too much at times.

Finally, I have found a group to belong to that has promise.  We all have that promise when we accept the free gift and calling from God to belong to Christ Jesus.  Some people have a problem accepting that call.  I did for a long time.  I mistakenly believed for many years that I didn't have anything to offer the group.  But as I began to develop my relationship with Jesus Christ, at arms length mind you, I saw the truth that He didn't call me because I was ready to contribute.  He called me when He was ready to grow me into the person that I was always supposed to be.

It's still a growing process, and I know that Jesus is fine with that.  He doesn't want me to change overnight, because He knows that I am not built for that.  I, like all of us, am a work in progress to be completed on the day when we meet Jesus (Philippians 1:6).  While I have come to understand that Jesus doesn't expect me to be perfect overnight, I still have to remember not to place undue pressure on myself if the progress isn't happening as fast as I would like it to.  I have to keep my eye on the prize that is found in Jesus Christ (Philippians 3:14).

He has kept His eye on all of us for so long.  And He will continue to do so until the last person is reached with this Good News and is saved.  But what do we do in the mean time?  How do we contribute to the group that we have finally been included in?

It starts with developing our relationship with Jesus Christ.  Reading and studying His Word daily will help us grow closer to Him, because so much of Him and His character and His plan is revealed in Scripture.  Prayer is another important step.  Paul tells us to never stop praying, and be thankful in all circumstances (1 Thessalonians 5:17-18).  That's a tough one sometimes.  It's hard to be thankful when you just lost your job.  But trust that God has greater things for you that He hasn't revealed yet (Jeremiah 33:3).  Pray for others too.  Pray for those that don't know Christ yet.  Pray for those that have fallen on really hard times.  Pray for the orphans, the widows.  They are all God's children, and all need to be cared for (James 1:27).  Help people.  Never turn down a request from someone because they can't return the favor.  Jesus reminds us of this a few times in the Gospel.  We should be more willing to help people because they can't return the favor (Luke 14:12-14).

Don't misunderstand what I'm saying here.  This is not some systematic way to earn your salvation.  That is something that can't be earned, but is a free gift from God (Ephesians 2:8-9).  These are things we should be doing because we have received the free gift from God, and without the good works, our faith is dead (James 2:26).  If we aren't showing our faith to everyone, then we have missed the message of God's Word.

Some people don't know where to start, and feel overwhelmed.  I know I didn't know either, and I believe that overwhelming feeling is common.  I would suggest starting with prayer and Bible study.  Ask God what He wants you to do.  Ask Him how He wants you to do it.  The Apostle Paul told us, "And God will generously provide all you need.  Then you will always have everything you need and plenty left over to share with others" (2 Corinthians 9:8).  Paul was referring to cheerful giving.  And not just of our tithes and offerings.  We have so much more to give than money.  Some have no money to give, but we have all been blessed with spiritual gifts that God wants us to use to bless others.

Ask Him how He wants you to do that.  He will reveal the answer to You, because You have been included in His group.  The most rewarding group that has ever existed.

Dear Heavenly Father, thank You for including me in Your group.  Thank You for always keeping Your eye on me, and for redeeming me from the life I had before I knew You.  I pray that I will remember that I have been set apart for Your Kingdom, and that I will keep my eyes on Your prize.  I pray that we all will demonstrate our faith in love towards others.  I pray that we will all share our spiritual gifts that You have blessed us with to others in love.  I pray that those who don't know You will take that first step towards salvation by inviting You into their hearts and lives, and begin to live a more fulfilling life in service to Your Holy Kingdom.  Thank You for including us all in Your plan.  In Jesus' name, Amen!



God Bless!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment