Friday, October 24, 2014

Some Help You Are...

Job 19:2-3 - How long will you torture me?  How long will you try to crush me with your words?  You have already insulted me ten times.  You should be ashamed of treating me so badly.

Job had been through a pretty rough time (to say the least), and his "friends" weren't being helpful at all.  How many of us have people like that in our lives?  More importantly - why?

Chuck Swindoll points out, "Unfortunately, people like Bildad still roam around wrecking others with their potent, verbal weapons."  But what happens when we're the ones wielding those potent, verbal weapons?

We have all been given various gifts to serve the Body of Christ and the Kingdom of Heaven while we are here on earth.  Those of us who have been given the gift of encouragement most often do so through their words.  When Job's friends first showed up after His tragedy struck, we are told that they went to Job to comfort and console him (Job 2:11).  Being able to comfort and console someone is definitely a gift from God.

But then they opened their mouths, they were anything but comforting and consoling.  Paul tells us that the gifts Christ gave to the church are to equip God's people to do his work and build up the church (Ephesians 4:12).  He also told us to let everything we say be good and helpful, so that our words would be an encouragement to those who hear them (Ephesians 4:29).

Bildad certainly missed the mark here.  Job said that he had insulted him 10 times.  How many more until Job just hauled off and belted him?  For me, I think Job lasted 8 more times than I would have.  And that's the problem, isn't it?

Recently, I said something to someone that could have hurt their feelings.  When I first said it, their initial reaction was that they were hurt.  My response was, "If I hurt your feelings, I'm sorry.  If you're joking about it, I'm not."  After knowing them for my entire life, there was a couple of problems with what happened.  First, why didn't I know whether or not I hurt their feelings?  And second, why should that even be a question in the first place?  As it turns out, they were only joking around that they were upset to make me feel guilty.

But the thing is, I still feel guilty about it.  The fact that the potential for my words to hurt their feelings was there is the problem.  They should have never came out of my mouth to begin with.  So how do I fix this?  I ask for forgiveness.  Not only from them, but from God.  While they weren't upset, I still have to ask them to forgive me for even raising the possibility of hurting their feelings.  Whether or not they are a believer doesn't matter.

I also have to ask God to forgive me.  I have to ask His forgiveness for not using the gift He gave me for building someone up.  I used it for breaking down.  I need to ask Him to continue to work in me to change the way I think by transforming my mind (Romans 12:2).  I am beyond grateful for the lesson I have learned from this, because it has allowed me to see where I am still lacking in my walk with Christ.  The fact that God put this on my heart today, shows me that He still desires to continue His work within me until it is finally finished (Philippians 1:6).  While I know that He is willing to forgive me, the fact that what I did breaks His heart is a problem for me.  I have to do better, and by the power of His Holy Spirit I will.

Dear Heavenly Father, thank You!  Thank You for convicting me of where I still fall short, and showing me what I need to keep working on.  I know that I will overcome my shortcomings by the power of Your Holy Spirit as long as I continue to trust and obey You and the work You are doing in me.  I ask for forgiveness for not using the gifts You have given me properly, and I pray that by Your instruction, I will be salt and light to those who need to see You, and not a bitter pill that people desperately try to avoid.  Thank You for continuing Your work in and through me.  In the name of Jesus Christ I pray, Amen!



God Bless!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment