Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Can I Give You Something For That?

Romans 11:6 - And since it is through God's kindness, then it is not by their good works.  For in that case, God's grace would not be what it really is - free and undeserved.

Ever have someone give you something for free?  It's hard to accept it sometimes, isn't it?  Most of us were raised to believe that nothing good comes free.  Everything costs something whether it be time, talent, or treasure.  But most often, it cost someone their blood, sweat, and tears.  We feel obliged to give them something for it.

The beauty of God's grace - His undeserved kindness as Paul put it (Romans 11:5) - is that it is free to us.  That doesn't mean it didn't cost someone something.  It cost Jesus plenty!  We all know that Jesus wept when Lazarus died (John 11:35).  But He also wept as He made His way into Jerusalem before His final Passover (Luke 19:41).  Why?  Because He knew what was to come for God's beloved city.

Jesus also sweat over what was to come.  In the Garden of Gethsemane, before His arrest, Luke tells us that Jesus was in such agony of spirit that His sweat fell to the ground like great drops of blood (Luke 22:41).  That is some serious prayer and anguish if you ask me.

And of course, we know that Jesus bled for us.  When He allowed His blood to be shed on the Cross, He was bleeding for all of us.  His blood was poured out as the final sacrifice that would allow us to be reconciled to God.

So you see, it did cost someone some blood, sweat, and tears.

It's natural for us to want to pay for it, isn't it?  We want to ask God, "Can I just give You something for that?"  After all, it makes it easier for us to understand and reconcile it in our mind if we have to pay for it, right?  But God doesn't want/need anything from us.  After all, what do you give to the One who has everything anyway, right?

What we can do to show our faith, is be cheerful givers of our time, talents, and treasures to those who need them.  The Apostle James asks the important question, "What good is it, dear brothers and sisters, if you say you have faith but don't show it by your actions" (James 2:14)?  Jesus gave us the best reasoning for this when He said, "I tell you the truth, when you refused to help the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were refusing to help me" (Matthew 25:45).

We aren't saved by our works, but we have been saved for good works (Ephesians 2:9-10).  The works aren't our way to pay God back.  They are our way to show others the great fruit that our faith has produced.  Anyone who knew me 10 years ago, would tell you that I am selfish and egotistical.  While I pray that I am less so now, I can only show people how much the Lord has transformed me.  Talk is cheap, and my works show my transformation by faith in Jesus Christ.  They don't show the transformation to God because He knows my heart, but they show it to others for the glory of God.

While it is easy to want our money for nothing (had to put that one in there), it's hard to accept something for nothing.  The beauty of God's love and mercy, is that His grace is truly free.  When we ask God if we can give Him something for that, don't be surprised when He tells you the answer You may not want to hear, "Do it for the least of these my brothers and sisters."  I remember Bob Goff once said, "If you're not sure who you're supposed to love, start with everyone and go from there."  That's what you can give the One who has everything.

Dear Heavenly Father, thank You for Your free gift of salvation and undeserved kindness.  I know I can never pay You for what I have been given for the high price of the blood of Your Son, but I pray that I will give freely of my time, talent, treasure, and most importantly, my love, to all of my brothers and sisters.  I pray for those that are struggling to accept Your gift for free.  My prayer is that they will realize that salvation through Jesus Christ is indeed offered for free to those who accept it, as is Your grace and mercy.  I pray they will stop trying to buy the free gifts, and just go out and love everyone instead.  In the name of Jesus Christ I pray, Amen!



God Bless!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment