Wednesday, October 8, 2014

It's Really Not That Complicated

Romans 4:4-5 - When people work, their wages are not a gift, but something they have earned.  But people are counted as righteous, not because of their work, but because of their faith in God who forgives sinners.

As consumers, don't we love free stuff?  Whenever we watch an infomercial, our ears tend to perk up when we hear they are adding something for free to go with the treadmill we don't really need because we probably won't use it much anyway, right?  But what's the first question we ask when we find out we are getting something for free - "What's the catch?"

As human beings, trust doesn't come easy for us.  Many of us have been jaded by those that have hurt us by violating our trust, so we tend to keep things we are unsure of at arms length.

Accepting God's free gift of salvation is one of those instances when we are naturally inclined to ask that question.  What's the catch?  It's really not that complicated.  It's free.  Well what does it cost?  It costs us nothing.  Jesus already paid for it.  Well I don't get it, why would God offer me something that's so great, but not make me earn it?  Because He loves you.  Well the last person that said they loved me cheated on me.  Well God doesn't do that.  He's not capable of anything other than unfailing love that lasts forever.  I don't get it.  Well it's really not that complicated.

God's design for us was always to be in intimate relationship with Him.  Just because we screwed it up, doesn't mean He changed His mind.  He doesn't do that.  He still wants that relationship with us.  But we have to choose to accept it.  When we were separated from Him because of our sin, He sent His Son to die on the cross and take on the punishment that was rightfully ours.  All because He loved us, and wants to spend eternity with us.  It's not as complicated as we try to make it.

Ever have that conversation (or something similar to it) with someone you tried to share the Gospel with?  I have.  I had it with myself when I came to know Jesus Christ.  I could not accept that I didn't have to work at it.  I was leery of people, and didn't believe that anything came free.  But it's true that this does (yes I talk to myself - all the time - and so do you).

Paul makes the great point in this passage of Romans about Abraham being counted as righteous because of his faith, and not because of anything he did.  In Genesis 12, God called Abram.  In Genesis 15:6, we are told, "Abram believed the Lord, and the Lord counted him righteous because of his faith."  But wait, what did Abram do to be called by God?  Nothing.  He didn't have to earn it.  None of us do.  We are all called by God to be in intimate fellowship with Him.

If Abram would have had to do something to earn his calling, don't you think that would have been mentioned in Genesis 12?  I think that would be some pretty important information, don't you?  God wouldn't have left something like that out.  He doesn't do things accidentally, and He wouldn't have spent all this time telling us one thing just to tell us, "Psyche!" when we get to Heaven.

Throughout the Bible we are told that it takes faith to be counted as righteous.  Jesus told us that it only takes faith the size of a mustard seed and anything would be possible (Matthew 17:20).  God will do the watering to grow the mustard seed.  We just have to be willing to put our plants underneath his spigot full of love, grace, and mercy.  It's really not that complicated.

Dear Lord, thank You for loving me.  Thank You for providing me a way into Your arms that I didn't have to earn.  I am eternally grateful for Your grace and mercy, and I pray that my faith will produce good works of love.  I pray for those that have kept You at arm's length because they are struggling with the same issues of trust in You that we have all had at one time or another.  My prayer is that someone will be able to get through to them by the power of Your Holy Spirit and they will see that they really don't have to earn anything, they just have to believe.  I pray that if I can be used for that purpose, I will be obedient to Your call.  In the name of Jesus I pray.  Amen!



God Bless!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment