Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Timing Is Everything

Matthew 4:1 - Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted there by the devil.

Right after Jesus was baptized in the Jordan River by John the Baptist, and received such an awesome blessing by God (Matthew 3:13-17), He is led into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil.

For the devil, timing is everything.  He likes to come at us when he thinks we are weakest.  Because of the faithfulness of Jesus Christ, who resisted him and never sinned, we have that same power to resist him when we believe in Jesus.  But it's not easy.

In a general sense, human beings are very analytical.  Some more than others to be sure, but in a very general sense, we like to think about things before we make any big decisions.

I have found that the enemy tries to come at me during times when I am either studying God's Word, right after, and right after I leave church.  Anyone who knows me well enough, knows that I am a thinker that likes to take his time processing things.  While I am reading devotionals, I can feel the devil trying to get into my head and tell me that what I am reading isn't true.  Right after I finish for the day, I can feel him trying again to tell me that now that I am done, I can do whatever I want.  That God won't mind if I sin now, because I did my duty for the day.  I feel him on the drive home from Church on Sunday's while I'm still processing the great message I just heard, telling me that what I heard isn't true.  And trying to get me to question if I really believe everything I just heard.

This is a tough battle that I face all the time, and I am sure that a lot of us do as well.  The Apostle James tells us, "So humble yourselves before God.  Resist the devil, and he will flee from you" (James 4:7).  When I feel him trying to creep into my head, I try to stop what I'm doing (except the driving part), and just pray.  I pray for the Holy Spirit to evict the enemy from my head so that I can concentrate on the truth of the Good News of Jesus Christ.  And it works!

God takes care of us when we are faithful and humble to Him.  The words in the Bible aren't empty phrases.  Moses told us in Deuteronomy, and the writer of Hebrews reminded us, that God will never leave us nor forsake us (Deuteronomy 31:6, 8; Hebrews 13:5).  Jesus promised to always be with us to the end of time (Matthew 28:20).  All we have to do is humble ourselves to God and accept His free gift of grace and salvation.  He will handle the rest as long as we stay faithful and humble to Him, and seek His will to be done in our lives.

It won't always be easy, but it will always be worth it.

Dear Abba Father, thank You for Your love and protection.  Your comfort and peace when the enemy tries to get into my head is amazing.  When I humble myself to You and pray for Your help, You have always been faithful and been there for me.  I pray that I will remember to stay humble and faithful to You, and not try to solve things on my own.  I know that I cannot defeat the enemy without You.  I pray for those that don't know You.  My prayer is that they will seek You, and answer the door when You knock on their heart.  I pray they will humble themselves to You, and that they will receive the same comfort and protection from the enemy.  I pray that they will resist the evil one by the strength You give through the power of Your Son Jesus Christ.  In the name of Jesus I pray, Amen!



God Bless!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment