Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Passion

Psalm 103:1 - Let all that I am praise the Lord; with my whole heart, I will praise His Holy Name.

One of the things that I love most about David, was his passion.  He had a burning love and passion for God.  David certainly wasn't perfect, nor did God expect him to be.  But he found favor with God because when he did mess up, he was repentant.  And he always maintained his passionate love for and trust in God.

A good example of David's love and passion for God is the story of when he killed Goliath.  In 1 Samuel 17, we see this Philistine giant taunting God's people, and cursing God.  When David hears it, he's not having any of it.  He wasn't about to stand around and listen to this heathen defy the name of the Lord.

I liked how he justified his abilities to King Saul telling him how tough he was fighting bears and lions to protect his flock.  Human hearts and minds need that justification sometimes.  Not God though; He only needs a willingness.  David didn't use this brute strength he boasted of to Saul.  He used a slingshot and a stone.  It didn't take brute strength to overpower this giant.  It took love and passion for God that no one else had.  All the Israelite soldiers were scared at how big this giant was.  David showed them all, Israelites and Philistines, that they should be more concerned at how big their God was.

Do I have passion for God?  I love Him with all my heart and soul, but do I show it?  I think I fall short here sometimes.  Do I worry over my problems getting bigger, or am I taking them to God, and showing them how big my God is?  I think we could all use a little more passion in our love and worship of our King and Creator.

Dear Lord, thank You for showing me where I fall short.  I know that when You point out my shortcomings to me, You do it out of love for me and because You want us to be closer.  I cannot praise You enough for Your loving and gentle correction.  I pray that You will reignite that passionate fire in my heart daily, so that You may be glorified through me.  I pray for those that have lost their passion.  Their flame has died down because they haven't been getting close to You for the light of Your love to keep their fire burning bright.  My prayer is that they will feel Your calling in their heart and reengage You, and recommit their hearts and lives to You today.  My prayer is that they will burn with passion for You and Your people like they never have before.  I pray that for all of us, Lord.  In Jesus' name, Amen!



God Bless!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment