Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Some Heavy Stuff

Ephesians 6:11 - Put on all of God's armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil.

I remember the first time I had to put on my full gear in the Army.  Man, that was some seriously heavy stuff.  I only weighed about 160 lbs. (if that), and the kevlar vest and helmet probably added about another 20, thought it felt like 50.  I remember thinking, "How could I ever effectively fight while wearing this?"  It was cumbersome to say the least.

Over the last few years, as I have drawn closer to Christ in my relationship with Him, I have come to trust that His armor is not quite as cumbersome.  Jesus told us, "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest" (Matthew 11:28).  His yoke is easy to bear and the burden He gives us is light (Matthew 11:30).

That doesn't mean that our lives given in service to Christ and His Kingdom is less important - far from it.  It means that He has already done the heavy lifting.  He has done the grunt work, as we used to refer to it in the Army.  He did it all when He went to the cross for us, and He is only asking us to carry on His work.  Yes, we will endure some suffering and persecution, but since He gave His life so that we could be free, don't you think what we are being expected to pay is a much smaller price?

The armor that Paul talks about in Ephesians 6 covers us from head to toe.  Just like the salvation and redemption that Jesus promises covers every sin.  I remember the "armor" that the Army issued to us covered our heads and torso.  Take a shot in the leg, and you can still go on, right?  That's debatable, but that's the Army's way of thinking.

When I think of those who are serving in the Armed Forces, all I can do is pray for them.  I pray that they are putting on the full armor of God, so that everything will be protected.  While their enemies try to exploit every weak spot in the military armor, I trust that those who have the full armor of God on have no weak spots in it.  They say that all armor has a weakness in it.  Not God's armor.  When we fully trust in God's protection, nothing a man can do to us could ever bring us away from that.  They may take our lives trying, but as Paul said, to live is Christ, and to die is gain (Philippians 1:21).

On this day dedicated to honoring and remember those who have fought and died for us to have the freedoms we enjoy as humans (such as our freedom to worship), keep in mind just how much those who gave the ultimate sacrifice loved those they were protecting.  Jesus said it best when He said, "There is no greater love than to lay down one's life for one's friends" (John 15:13).  Those currently serving, those who have served, and those who have died, did so because they loved us enough to do so.  Honor that today.  Honor the One who gave the ultimate sacrifice for our redemption and salvation.

Dear Abba Father, thank You for showing us how much we are loved by sacrificing Your Son on the cross.  I pray that we all will remember to honor You for everything You have done for us and all that You continue to do for us.  I pray for those that are serving this country in the Armed Forces.  My prayer is one of gratitude and thanksgiving for their willingness to lay down their lives for their fellow countrymen - their friends.  I ask for Your protection over them, as they perform a job every day that many could/would not do.  I pray they have Your full armor on as they go to face an enemy of the flesh that may try to take their lives, but could never take the freedom You have given them by the power of the Holy Spirit and the sacrifice of Jesus Christ.  Thank You for blessing this country with such brave men and women.  In the name of Jesus Christ, I pray.  Amen!



God Bless!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment