Monday, November 10, 2014

Quite The Looker

Song of Solomon 4:7 - You are altogether beautiful, my darling, beautiful in every way.

I came across this passage in a devotional recently, and the writer pointed out that many scholars believe this song is actually a metaphor for Christ's love for His people.  Looking at it from that perspective made sense to me.

I'm sure we are all familiar with the passage in John's Gospel account that because God loved the world so much, He sent His only Son to die so that we could have eternal life with Him when we believed (John 3:16).  God didn't do this because He had to do it.  He doesn't have to do anything.  He did it because He wanted to.

Since the fall of Adam and Eve, the Bible's main story is all about God trying to restore His people.  He could have easily just wiped the slate clean after Adam and Eve and started over.  He could have done that with Noah as well.  Although Noah was the only one found blameless at the time that God brought the flood (Genesis 6:9), He could have easily just said, "Nope!  I'm done with them all!"  But He didn't, because He was too in love with His creation.  That's not pride, that's devotion.

The question that I have always wanted to know the answer to is, "What did/does God see in us to make Him want to stick around and keep trying to rescue us?"  The answer is easy.  I don't know.  And I believe that I won't know while I'm still on this side of Heaven.  And I'm fine with that.

I am learning more every day, to let go and let God do His work, because He knows much better than I do about His plans.  It's not my place to question what He is doing, or where He is taking me.  We are all operating on a need to know basis.  He will reveal what He needs me to know when He determines that I need to know it.

Paul told us that God's plans are good, pleasing, and perfect (Romans 12:2).  Some have a hard time taking that at face value.  However, if you take some time to draw closer to God through His Word, you will see that from the first word to the last word, God is constantly giving us multiple chances to be made right in His eyes.  He always provides paths back to Him.  But we have to follow those paths willingly, because He won't force us to do anything we don't want to do.

Joshua has always been one of my favorite people in the Old Testament.  He was a great military leader, but needed some encouragement to lead the whole of God's people.  He obviously wasn't perfect, and he recognized that.  He didn't try to hide it.  He sought God for his guidance and encouragement, and God gave it to him (Joshua 1).  But Joshua was also very plain speaking.  When talking to the Israelites, he held nothing back telling them to choose who they were going to serve, because he had already made up his mind (Joshua 24:15).  I love that.  He just told them 'You need to figure it out!'  He wasn't going to choose for them, because he knew they had to choose for themselves.  That's what we all have to do.

This passage from Song of Solomon answers a lot of the 'Why' questions.  Why would God keep trying?  Why would God send His Son to die to redeem us?  What does God see in me?  He tells us here that He thinks we are altogether beautiful in every way.  That may be hard to accept for some, particularly if someone is dealing with self-esteem issues, but that doesn't make it any less true.  But don't take my word for it.  I'm just rambling.  These are His words, not mine.  Take the time to learn about it for yourself.  Spend some time connecting with Him through His Word and through prayer.  You will find what you need to know for now.  The rest will be revealed at a later date.

Dear Abba Father, thank You.  Thank You for seeing in me what I never could see in myself.  I trust in Your perfect plan for me and my life, and I will try not to ask too many questions that are above my pay grade.  I thank You for Your patience and Your unfailing love that that keeps You around no matter how hard I, or any of us, try to make it for You.  I pray for those that don't know You, and don't understand the answers to the 'Why' questions.  My prayer is that they will make their choice now to serve the One that loved them from the beginning before they were even formed in the womb.  I pray they will seek out the One that looked over all He created in the beginning and said that it was very good.  I pray we all take the time to learn about You through Your Word and in prayer every day.  I pray we all find the answers we need for now, and will trust You with the rest as You are ready to reveal it.  I pray this all in the name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  Amen!



God Bless!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment