Monday, November 17, 2014

Even Better

2 Corinthians 3:9 - If the old way, which brings condemnation, was glorious, how much more glorious is the new way, which makes us right with God!

For many years, before I actually had a relationship with Christ, I had a good life.  At least that's what I believed.  I had been saved, but I never took the time to draw closer to God in an intimate way.  But life was good!  I mean, isn't that what mattered after all?  Isn't that what Jesus wanted for me, to have a good life?  I figured since I believed and had accepted Christ, and I was a relatively good person, there was no need to do anything different.  Fortunately, I came to find out just how wrong I was.

I have encountered many people over the last few years that had the same mode of thinking that I did for so long.  It's hard to see it sometimes, because it reminds me of how misguided (by my own thinking) that I was.  The enemy is always happy with this train of thought, because it keeps us away from having that intimate relationship with our Lord and Savior, and has the potential to lead us down the dark paths of destruction instead of through the narrow gate into Heaven.

Coming across this passage the other day reminded me of how much better everything really is with Jesus in my life.  Some would say, "Well Wayne, you've been divorced twice and you're unemployed right now, how is that better?"  Yes I have been, and yes I am.  It's better, because I know God is working in me so that He can work through me.  He is refining me like gold in the fire, and I am content to let the Potter mold the clay.

Paul's words in his letter to the Philippians have taken on special meaning to me over the last 2 1/2 years of being single again, and the last 4 months of unemployment.  I have learned how to be content with whatever I have (Philippians 4:11), because what I have is from God.  He has provided me with whatever I have needed.  I may not have realized it at the time over the years, but that's one great thing about hindsight - it's 20/20.

This whole section of 2 Corinthians 3, from verse 7 through 18, is just awesome.  I love how Paul is constantly reminding them how much better things are under the new covenant between God and the rest of the world.  The beauty of it will be fully realized when we reach Heaven, but until then, all we need to do is trust in God.  Sometimes it sounds a lot easier said than done, but it's more than worth it.

When things are going good, is when we really need to be mindful of our relationship with our Messiah.  I was watching a movie recently (I know, surprise right...), and in it a woman said that sometimes the devil won't attack us and will allow us to live free of problems so that we won't see the need for God in our lives.  That just makes sense to me.  I spent all those years living a lie perpetrated by the enemy that I didn't need God because life was going so smoothly.  Fortunately, God orchestrated events to expose that lie to me, so I would draw closer to Him.

I have been blessed more than words could ever say.  Instead of punishing me like I deserved because I chose to believe a lie instead of His truth, all He did was point me in the right direction.  A direction that led me closer to Him that made it easier for Him to protect me.  A direction that led me to seek refuge in the shelter of the Most High, and find rest in the shadow of the Almighty (Psalm 91:1).  As good as I thought everything was without the intrusion of Jesus Christ, life really is even better with His direction and guidance in every aspect of my life.  That's what I call a blessing.

Dear Heavenly Father, thank You for blessing me in ways that words could not even do justice to describe.  I have never deserved Your mercy and grace and love, but You have given them to me freely, and in abundance.  I am eternally grateful for all that You are, and all that You do.  I pray for those that are not in a relationship with You.  My prayer is that You will expose the lies they have been following, and they will come to have an intimate and loving relationship with You.  I pray that we all will lean on each other, as we seek to be closer to You.  In the precious and Holy name of Jesus Christ I pray.  Amen!



God Bless!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment