Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Running A Marathon

2 Timothy 4:7 - I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful.

Life is like running a marathon.  It takes A LOT of endurance and steadfast, dedicated training.  Paul recognized this, and talked about it a couple of times (1 Corinthians 9, Galatians 2 and 5, Philippians 3).  The difference between a marathon and life, is that we know when a marathon will end.

It's difficult to build up that patient endurance that life - and faith - requires.  In the culture we live in today, we can have almost anything right away.  Which I believe is a big reason that people walk away from their faith.  Those of us who are Baseball fans (Go Cubs), will often hear Baseball players say, during the struggles of the early part of the season, that the game is a marathon and not a sprint.  And that it's how you finish, not how you start.  While these are time-worn cliches, they are true in Baseball and in faith (how do you think a cliche becomes a cliche?).

Recently, the world lost a much beloved man to suicide that was believed to be brought on by the severe depression that he was suffering from.  Robin Williams was responsible for making so many of us laugh so hard we cried.  It is hard to imagine that someone who was so funny could possibly be depressed.  But the fact is, those who are laughing on the outside are often crying on the outside.  They are struggling with the inner peace that we all seek, and can only truly be found in our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

They say that suicide is a permanent solution to temporary problems.  This is true.  It's like taking a short cut during the marathon (something we've seen people do).  If you're feeling like your problems are permanent, take them to the Lord.  Never be afraid to reach out to someone and get the help you need to get back on track and running the race on the path God intended for you.

When I have battled my depression in the past, I never really found a way out of it, until I came to know Jesus Christ.  Through this love relationship with my Creator, I have come to believe that no pain I experience will compare to the joy I experience when I reach the end of the race on God's terms, and not mine (Romans 8:18).  As Paul said so well, "I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the Heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us" (Philippians 3:13).  I don't know when that will come, as do none of us, but I am confident that Jesus Christ will give me (and all of us) the patient endurance we need, as we seek Him every day, to run this marathon

Heavenly Father, as we start on another leg of this marathon race You have set before us today, I thank You for giving us the patient endurance to make it through the day.  I pray that through steadfast and dedicated time with You, we will remember that nothing in this world can bring us down unless we let it, as long as we hold on to our faith in Your promise.  Today, I pray for the family of Robin Williams as they go through this time of profound sadness and grieving over the sudden loss of such a beloved man.  My prayer is that they will seek You during this time for the comfort that only You can bring.  I don't know where their hearts are, but You do, and I pray that they will be focused on You.  I pray also for those that are struggling with depression and other problems that are bringing them down.  My prayer is that today they will stop letting the enemy shout the lies into their minds, and let You whisper the truth of Your love into their hearts.  My prayer is that they will seek the help they need to get themselves turned around and back on the path You have for them.  In the precious, powerful, and holy name of Your Son Jesus Christ I pray this.  Amen!



God Bless!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment