Friday, August 29, 2014

Good Friends

Revelation 3:20 - "Look!  I stand at the door and knock.  If you hear My voice and open the door, I will come in, and we will share a meal together as friends."

No matter how many times I may read the Bible, this passage never fails to warm my heart.  Throughout the Bible, there are countless passages that speak of God's desire to be intimately close with us.  But something about this one in particular lifts me up without fail every time.

I wonder why that is.  Although this is part of a warning to the church in Laodicea about their shortcomings, it is for all of us.  Even though it precedes a vivid description of the coming end times and all the suffering that mankind will experience, it remains a hopeful promise of love and intimacy that God has always desired of His chosen people.

I have caught myself, from time to time, wondering why in the world would God want this particular passage in this place of all parts of the Bible?  I am certainly not questioning His judgment, just curious as to why He chose this spot specifically.  I know I will never fully understand all the workings of God's mind and His plans while I'm still on this side of Heaven, but that doesn't mean I can't strive to learn as much as possible.

Then I remember back to something my favorite Apostle said.  In 2 Peter 3 he tells us, "The Lord isn't really being slow about His promise, as some people think.  No, He is being patient for your sake.  He does not want anyone to be destroyed, but wants everyone to repent" (verse 9).  It's easy to believe that God is a procrastinator.  We see all the tragedy going on around us, and we start to wonder, is He ever going to return and deliver us into His Kingdom?  The answer is of course He is.  But we have to be doing our part.

Jesus' commission to His disciples before He ascended to Heaven, was to go and make disciples (Matthew 28:20).  The action verb there, was "make disciples", not necessarily "go".  It is our job to reach anyone and everyone that we possibly can and share the Good News of our salvation through Jesus Christ.  God doesn't want anyone else to wind up in Hell for eternity.  Sadly, it will happen, and it will break His heart.  But it is by their choice that it will happen.

The Great News, is that God doesn't want it to happen that way.  He wants everyone to have an opportunity to repent and be saved so that He can come into their lives after they open the door to their hearts in response to His knocking, and share a meal as friends.  God wants to hang out with us...how cool is that.  I think it's awesome, because I know that I am not always good company, yet He wants to hang out with me anyway.

So before we start complaining about God being slow about things, remember first that His timing is always perfect.  Remember also, that we have a responsibility to uphold our end of the deal and to share His message of salvation and eternal life with everyone we can.

Dear Abba Father, thank You for desiring and pursuing me all those years so that we could have an intimate love relationship together as not just Father-Son, but also as friends.  I pray that I will uphold my end of things, and share Your amazing message of the love You have for every living soul, and that You want no one to spend eternity separated from You.  I know I will never be perfect in my work for Your Kingdom while I am on earth, but Your love and grace lift me and sustain me during my stumbles.  I pray for those that have not answered Your knock on the door to their heart.  My prayer is that I may be used by You to reach as many people as possible with the Good News of Jesus Christ, and help bring more brothers and sisters home to You for eternity.  Use me however You wish Lord.  I will go where You lead.  In the name of Jesus Christ, I pray.  Amen!



God Bless!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment