Thursday, August 7, 2014

Now's Just Not a Good Time

2 Timothy 4:2 - Preach the Word of God.  Be prepared, whether the time is favorable or not.  Patiently correct, rebuke, and encourage your people with good teaching.

How many opportunities are lost to share the Gospel with someone because we didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings, or offend them.  Maybe we didn't feel like it was the right time, and we didn't want to push them away?

That one time that we blew off the chance to share the message of Jesus could conceivably be the only, or perhaps last, chance that person may have to be saved.  We cannot say, "Oh there'll be other times."  Are you sure?  That's something we say to justify in our heads our inaction.  I don't want to sound like a Debbie Downer, but it's a reality.  We NEVER know when or if our, or their, next chance will be.

When we say that now just isn't a good time, what does that mean?  It's not like this is a space shuttle launch and the weather has to be perfect and cooperative.  This is sharing the Good News of Christ and trying to reach someone for the Kingdom of God.

When Jesus gave His command to go and make disciples of all the nations (Matthew 28:19), there are two things that didn't happen that tend to be easily overlooked.  First, it wasn't a request.  Second, He didn't say if/when you're feeling up to it.

The first time Jesus sent His disciples out, He told them not to take anything with them.  No money, no extra clothes, nothing (Matthew 10:9-10).  He wanted them to trust that God would provide for them during their journey.  I think a lot of us tend to use the excuse that now's just not the right time, because we are afraid.  We are hesitant to trust God to provide us with the right words (see Moses, Exodus 3:11-4:13).  Moses tried to come up with every excuse under the sun, but I loved God's response in Exodus 4:12 - Now go!  I will be with you as you speak, and I will instruct you in what to say."

Sometimes we are afraid of pushing friends or family away from us.  That should never be a problem.  If they were meant to be your friend, then they won't go anywhere (at least not permanently).  If they reject what you have to tell them, THEY are the ones that have to explain their rejection to God when they stand before Him in judgment, not you.

Maybe we're afraid that someone will lash out at us, or maybe even get physically abusive.  Remember the Psalmist's words in Psalm 118:6 - "The Lord is for me, so I will have no fear.  What can mere people do to me?"  And the reaffirmation of that promise in Hebrews 13:6.

So do I have any more excuses, or is this just not a good time for them too?

Dear Father, thank You for putting this on my heart today.  I know that I have not been faithful in sharing Your Gospel message to those I encounter.  I want that to change now!  I want to be faithful to You and follow the instructions of Your Son Jesus Christ to go and make disciples.  I will trust in Your promise to Moses that You will be with me when I speak and instruct me.  I will trust in Your promise that You are for me, and I will have no fear.  I want to be content as Paul was.  I pray for those that have struggled with this as well.  My prayer is that they will stop resisting You out of fear and insecurity, and answer Your call for all of Your people.  My prayer is that we will remain faithful to You and fear nothing in this world.  In the precious name of Jesus, Amen!



God Bless!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment