Thursday, August 21, 2014

A Better Response

1 John 2:4 - If someone claims, "I know God," but doesn't obey God's commandments, that person is a liar and is not living in the truth.

Many people struggle with living up to God's standards and obeying His commandments.  And when I say many, I meany pretty much everybody (Romans 3:10).  Some people use the excuse of saying that God's standards are too high.  Well duh...they're supposed to be.

God doesn't expect us to be perfect, because He knows that we can't be.  But He does expect us to try.  And when we fall short from time to time (which we will), we are to come to Him in humble repentance and let Jesus plead our case to Him (1 John 2:1).

With the recent problems going on in Ferguson, Missouri, tensions and tempers have been flaring pretty high, to say the least.  Almost everyone has an opinion on the right way to handle everything.  Last week, I was having a discussion with someone about it, and this person said that they understood why people were doing what they were doing (protesting, looting, etc.) because if it was their child that had been shot by the police, they would be all for it.  I replied that fighting fire with fire solves absolutely nothing except to make the flames bigger.  I said that there's nothing wrong with defending your home and family if looters and other deviants are coming down your street and on your lawn, but going out and looking for - and causing - trouble is the worst response possible.

The response to my comment was, and I quote, "God forgives everyone."  I said, "God is willing to forgive everyone, but that doesn't mean that we can go around and continue to sin and expect God to forgive us just because He is willing."  This person responded that she knew her Bible, and didn't need a Church lesson because we weren't in Church.  This reminded me of Hebrews 10:26 - "Dear friends, if we deliberately continue sinning after we have received knowledge of the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice that will cover these sins," which I was happy to mention.

So what's the point of all my rambling?  There's a better response to all of this.  It's called LOVE.  Jesus tells us in Matthew 22 that there are two key commandments to follow.  Love God first with all your heart, soul, and mind, and to love your neighbor as yourself.  He also said that all of God's law is based on these two commandments (vv. 37-40).  So before we start to say that it's so hard to live up to God's standards and follow his commandments, remember that it all starts and ends with LOVE.  To be honest (and it's sad for me to admit this), I don't think I could recite the original Ten Commandments (and I haven't seen the movie either...).  Who's showing love to the young boy's family who died?  Shouldn't that be our first thought, and the better response to this tragedy?

Dear Abba Father, thank You for showing us the way through everything.  I pray that I can show love to everyone, because I know that love is where it all starts and ends.  I pray for the family of the young boy who lost his life in this tragedy.  Regardless of what the circumstances are surrounding his death, I wish no one would have to deal with this level of sadness.  But I trust Your will and plan for us all.  I pray for those police officers that are trying to keep the peace during this turbulent time.  I pray for the strength and resolve that can come from only You, to keep the peace and protect those who need to be protected.  I ask this in the name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, Amen!



God Bless!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment